[pptp-server] PPTP problems after connect

Nate Carlson natecars at real-time.com
Fri Mar 17 10:06:01 CST 2000

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Sean McAvoy wrote:

> Hi,
> I tried that it works without encryption, but as soon as I enable it it
> won't ping... that is also when I get the protocol errors.

Are you running Win98? This is a really common problem related to the
broken encryption out of the box on Win98.. try applying the DUN40.exe
patch if this is a case.

(Note to admins: It might be a good idea to make this a _lot_ more obvious
in the FAQ.. it's kind of in a side note right now.. I would have to say
this is one of the most common problems on the list.)

> Another quick question: I can mount drives through the command line in
> windows, but can't see any systems (except the windows box itself) in the
> network neighbouthood window. I know this has to do with samba and the
> netbios broadcasting... wondering what it is exactly it was..
> Again, any help would be great!

You need to set up a WINS server on your network, and point your client
machines at it, using either the ms-wins tag in the pppd options file, or
setting it manually in the dial-up profile.

--
Nate Carlson <natecars at real-time.com>   | Phone : (612)943-8700