[pptp-server] *Help* Cannot see Network Neighborhood **

Boris Reisig boris at microtrader.com
Tue Mar 21 13:13:36 CST 2000

ok, I really need help with this problem. I am running RedHat 6.1 and upgraded my kernel to 2.2.14. I also downloaded the 2.2.14 IP masq patch and applied it into the kernel and recomplied it. Heres what I want to do. I have my PPTP-Server running at home on my cablemodem [24.66.46.243 for example]. I also have SAMBA setup as a WINS server and I can see it on my home lan when browsing my other computers. I setup in my /etc/ppp/options the MS-WINS setting for my cablemdm ip and as the PPP ip [192.168.0.1 just in case]. In PPTPD, I setup the local ip network as 192.168.0.1 and the REMOTE ip's are 192.168.0.2-243. I setup IP forwarding to [ipchains -A forward -j MASQ -s 192.168.0.0/24 -d 0.0.0.0] so that it can use access the internet thru the vpn. I just use it for fun].
At work, We have a cablemodem[24.66.52.216] behind our RedHat Firewall [2.2.14 + ip masq kernel patch] which is connected to our lan. The RedHat Firewall has a DHCP server which gives out the 10.0.0.x address to everyone and has ip masqing/forwarding to share the internet for everyone. I have a Windows '98 SE client behind the firewall [10.0.0.56] and I connect to my VPN cable ip [24.66.46.243]. Poof, it connects. I do a winipcfg and I look at my wins setting for my VPN..It says both the PPTPD Server cablemdm IP and 192.168.0.1. I can ping both the PPTPD cablemodem IP and the remote 192.168.0.1 address. What I can't see is ANYONE in the network neighborhood. Is their some IP Chains command I also have to add on the RedHat server at work to forward GRE and 1723 to the 10.0.0.56 address? I would assume that if the VPN conencted that both ends work? If its some IPCHains/IPFWD/ipmasqadm command, What would I exactly have to type? The strange thing is that if I use a Pure dialup account on a different machine[not connected to any network] and the VPN it to my PPTPD server, I can see my HOME network computers. What am I doign wrong with the work network firewall? I need some help and examples with this.

Boris Reisig
boris at microtrader.mb.ca