[pptp-server] ** VPN Problem, Can't access other computer shares on remote network. **

Boris Reisig boris at microtrader.com
Tue Mar 28 14:33:45 CST 2000

Im having a problem with my VPN, I am wondering if anyone could tell me how to fix it and or give me examples on fixing it. I am using PPTPD 1.1.1 and Samba 2.06 as my WINS Server at work. Each of the workstations are running Win98 Second Edition. I have a lan with 10 computers [192.168.0.2-192.168-0.10] plus my gateway server box sharing internet to all the other computers [eth0, is my cableip and eth1 is 192.168.0.1]. My gateway server is a DHCP Server[Giving out the 192.168.0.2-10 ip numbers to the workstations] and all the workstations have point to my samba server as the WINS server. Each computer on the network can see each other and get into each others shares. This is good but thats not the problem im having. I am at home and connect to my gateway server with my VPN connection. I set pptpd to give me an ip of 192.168.0.250 so that I am still within the same subnet. I can ping the remote computers [192.168.0.2-10] and even a remote WINS/gateway server [192.168.0.1]. I can see the computers in network neighborhood on my work lan but heres what im having problems with. If I click on the Gateway server name in network neighborhood, I can get it but if I click on one of the remote computers, It keeps saying "\\Workstation is not accessible. The computer or sharename could not be found. Make sure you typed it correctly, and try again". I click on another computer and it gives me the same error? Why can I access the wins/gateway computer but I can't access any of the computers on the lan? Any *help* on fixing this would be EXTREMELY appreciated.

Boris Reisig
Microtrader Computers