[pptp-server] Re:LDAP/PAM for authentication

Neale Banks neale at lowendale.com.au
Thu Mar 30 16:09:22 CST 2000

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Scott M. Stone wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Daniell Freed wrote:
>
> > Thanks I appreciate the info.  For the moment I guess they will just
> > have to use 1 more password.
>
> why not use radius?

'coz RADIUS, LDAP etc are all PAM modules and PAM-ified PPP can only
authenticate PAP (i.e. not CHAP or MS-perversions thereof).  AFAIK, the
issue is that the CHAP algorithm requires access to the cleartext of the
password but PAM specifically does not pass this back (think of it as a
security feature ;-).

This issue has been tossed around a few times before and there was (is
still? ;-) an offer of a Pizza for someone who could come up with the
diffs to make this work.

e.g. look at the "PoPToP and Authentication Questions" thread in the March
archives.

HTH,
Neale.