[pptp-server] PoPToP and Linux PPPTP client

Neale Banks neale at lowendale.com.au
Mon May 29 20:41:58 CDT 2000

On Mon, 29 May 2000, Tom Eastep wrote:

> On Mon, 29 May 2000, Sean McAvoy wrote:
>
> > Hello, just having some problems connecting a Linux pptp client to a PoPToP
> > (RH Linux) server, which is behind a Linux NAT Firewall. It seems that both
> > are waiting to authenticate but do not. Any Ideas???
> > Thanks for ANY help!
> >

> Have you installed John Hardin's VPN Masquerade patch on your Linux
> firewall? (http://www.wolfenet.com/~jhardin/ip_masq_vpn.html).

In this case, I'm not sure that's the problem - if it were, I don't think
we'd be seing the pppds (unsuccessfully) negotiating.

First things I'd check here:

1) on the linux-pptp machine, is "noauth" being passed as an option to
pppd?  Without "noauth", by default the ppd will demand that the other
side provide authentication (NOTE: do NOT be tempted to use this option on
the PoPToP server!).

2) is there a valid username/password for authenticating the pptp-linux
caller the PoPToP server in /etc/chap-secrets on *both* machines?

HTH,
Neale.