[pptp-server] Peer refused to authenticate.

Boris Reisig boris at microtrader.com
Tue Nov 7 17:42:52 CST 2000

I am getting a weird connecting error when tring to use pptp client to connect to my main server. I have both linux boxes using the same configuration files exactly but only 1 seems to connect.

/etc/chap-secrets
jack    *    jack    *

/etc/options
noauth
debug
proxyarp

On both systems. The first computer connects no problem via the pptp client. The second computer has the following error.

pppd[300]: pppd 2.3.11 started by root, uid 0
pppd[300]: Using interface ppp0
pppd[300]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttya0
kernel: PPP BSD Compression module registered
kernel: PPP Deflate Compression module registered
pppd[300]: LCP terminated by peer (peer refused to authenticated)
pppd[300]: Connection terminated
pppd[300]: Exit.

What the heck is going on. I ever tried "auth" and the "name" in the options file. nothing. Anyone run into this kind of trouble and know how to fix it? I