[pptp-server] ppp_mppe

Ralph Winslow ralphw at cnet.com
Sun Nov 12 09:55:29 CST 2000

Successful pptp users,

I've been following the procedure specified in
http://www.moretonbay.com/vpn/releases/HOWTO-PoPToP.txt, and reached the
point where I should [rmmod ppp].  This fails

root at rjw# rmmod ppp
ppp: Device or resource busy

I tried to proceed like this:

root at rjw# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
ppp_deflate            40936   0  (autoclean)
bsd_comp                3908   0  (autoclean)
ppp                    21132   0  (autoclean) [ppp_deflate bsd_comp]
slhc                    4664   0  (autoclean) [ppp]
emu10k1                45264   0  (autoclean)
soundcore               2644   4  (autoclean) [emu10k1]
lockd                  31084   1  (autoclean)
sunrpc                 51804   1  (autoclean) [lockd]
af_packet               6464   0  (autoclean)
serial                 19196   0  (autoclean)
3c59x                  19548   1
root at rjw# insmod ppp_mppe
insmod: ppp_mppe: no module by that name found

so I rebooted, hoping that that would insmod my new ppp (and, hopefully,
mppe) module(s), but no joy.  The instructions up to that point seemed
to complete nicely and without error, except that I can't run pppoe
using the recommended script; I had to dump its output and create
my own run_pppoe script which looks like:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/setsid /usr/sbin/pppd pty '/usr/sbin/pppoe -p .pppoe -I eth0 -T -m ' noipdefault noauth defaultroute hide-password nodetach  local mtu 1492 mru 1492 noaccomp noccp nobsdcomp nodeflate nopcomp novj novjccomp user fubardude at bellatlantic.net lcp-echo-interval 30 lcp-echo-failure 4 debug

because the "lcp-echo-interval 30 lcp-echo-failure 4" args weren't beeing
filled in by the standard startup script.  I believe that this is why
I have to use poff -a to shutdown pppoe, and that that's why the rmmod
ppp call fails (i.e. poff -a doesn't teardown correctly).

I know that this is a lot of vague clues, but if anyone could suggest
some line of attack on this problem, I'd be very grateful.

----
Ralph Winslow		Operations/Support/Tools
(908)575-8567 x276