[pptp-server] Out of order packet..

Philip Van Baren phil at vibrationresearch.com
Tue Nov 21 08:49:51 CST 2000

The buffering out-of-order packet message is a result of the packet
reordering code added to 1.1.2, and doesn't indicate any problems.  Your
problem is your /etc/ppp/chap-secrets file does not contain a username
and/or servername match for the incoming request, probably because you
didn't list the domain name with the username in the chap-secrets file.
Note that it is trying to authenticate with the username "clstech\\georgev",
and NOT "georgev".

Phil

P.S.  The reason you are seeing the buffering out-of-order packet messages
there is a "feature" of how this was implemented.  Some clients start the
sequence with 0, some with 1.  Since pptpd is looking for packet 0 first, if
the client starts the sequence with 1 you will get a buffering packet #1
message while it waits for packet #0, then get a packet reorder timeout
message for packet #0 and then the buffering packet #2 message because it
buffers this packet briefly while it processes packet #1.

The PPTP spec is a little ambiguous on this issue, and can arguably be read
to mean that sequence numbers should start with either 0 or 1, so I can't
say which clients are right.  The way pptpd-1.1.2 is implemented it will
work for both cases, but will give these debug messages when the client
starts with sequence number 1.