[pptp-server] Wierd error

Devin Brown dbrown at amavi.com
Fri Nov 24 14:19:15 CST 2000

I've just built my second PopTop Server.  The first one I build about 6
months ago and is working fine.  This new one however, is giving me grief.
I built it the same way as the other one with the exception that I am now
using Redhat 6.2 as the OS instead of Debian 2.2 as I did on the other one.
 I first had problems compiling the kernel with the PPP MPPE patch in it.
I got an error complaining of an undefined PPP_MAGIC.  I eventually found a
workaround but it concerned me that I didn't have to do this on the other
server.  (I tried this compile in Debian too and it still bombed so that,
at least, is not a RedHat issue)  I've now got the kernel compiled (2.2.16
same as on the other server) and PopTop installed (v1.1.1.  I tried 1.0.0
and it did the same thing.)  What it's doing is kinda strange.  The server
is attached to our ADSL line for it's outside connection.  If I hook a
client machine (Win98) up inside the ADSL line (so same subnet as the
outside card in the new server) I can connect without problems.  It works
great.  However, if I hook this same client up to our secondary internet
connection (Shaw) and try to connect to the server through the actual
internet I can still connect but if I start a ping to an address on the
inside network (192.168.*.* range) it works for about 2 minutes then I lose
the connection.  The PPTP connection stays up, I just can't transfer any
data through the VPN Server.  I CAN connect reliably through this same Shaw
connection to the old VPN server.

The error that shows up in the syslog when a connect fails in this manner
is "Unexpected sequence number; got 6 after 3"  The numbers are not always
the same.  Can anybody tell me what I did wrong?

Devin Brown
Anthony MacAuley Associates
dbrown at amavi.com