[pptp-server] Fix for out-of-order packets

Philip Van Baren phil at vibrationresearch.com
Mon Oct 2 12:46:38 CDT 2000

I put the latest version of my patch to add packet reordering to the
pptpd-1.1.1 source code at:
  http://www.vibrationresearch.com/pptpd/index.html

This patch reorders out-of-order packets so that packets don't get dropped
by pptpd when the network delivers some packets out of order.  This is
basically the same patch as I posted to this list last week, but I've made a
couple changes to improve the response when packets are lost.  I also added
the fix from pptpd-1.0.1 for the infinite loop on disconnect problem.

The above web page also has the patch to the ppp_mppe.c source to fix the
Compressed Data bug (posted to this list earlier today by Philip
Willoughby -- hope you don't mind, Philip).  With my patch, plus his patch
to ppp_mppe, I can now get encrypted connections working even on a network
that drops some packets and delivers lots of packets of out-of-order.

On my VPN connection I typically get about 1% to 2% of my packets delivered
out-of-order, and this can go above 10% at bad times during the day.  I'm
curious if I just have lame DSL providers on both ends, or if out-of-order
packets is a common problem?

Phil Van Baren
phil at vibrationresearch.com