[pptp-server] neibourhood network problem ...

Graham Dunn gdunn at inscriber.com
Tue Oct 3 13:25:16 CDT 2000

On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 02:09:11PM -0400, Adam Lang wrote:
> Netbeui, netbios.. tomato.. tomatoe... The point is that those packets are
> non routable so there is no way to poll the master browser if it resides on
> the side of the network past the VPN server.

Just a quick moment of clarification. NetBeui is a networking protocol,
like TCP/IP or SPX/IPX, but not routable, whereas the other two are
(well, one of SPX/IPX isn't but I forget which).

NetBIOS is an API to access file and print resources, and is independent
of the networking protocol it is carried across.

Thus, when someone refers to a "NetBIOS broadcast", they are most likely
referring to a TCP packet carrying a NetBIOS packet, directed to the
broadcast IP on your LAN segment. It is also true that these packets
will not be passed between subnets by routers.

Therefore, if you wish to configure browsing between subnets, you must
point your client to a WINS server on the other subnet, as that is the
_only_ way your client will be able to gather information about what
print and file services are offered on the other subnet.

--
  gdunn at inscriber.com	  Graham Dunn         || ||| | ||| |||| | |||| |