[pptp-server] Unable to telnet after applying mppe patches

Kok-Hong Wong kokhong at lightspeed.com.sg
Thu Oct 5 12:18:42 CDT 2000

I've been testing out the pptpd server for a while and its been working
fine without encryption.

My setup is as follows:
Slackware 7.0
Kernel 2.3.3
ppp-2.3.10
ppp-2.3.10-openssl-norc4-mppe.patch
openssl-0.9.5a

1) After patching and compiling, encountered an unresolved symbol
RC4_set_key. Hence was unable to insert the ppp_mppe module.

2) I then decided to run pptpd and try to connect without encryption,
since I can't insert the module. That's when I started having problems.
a)Although no config changes had been made to /etc/pptpd.conf and
/etc/ppp/options, I'm no longer able to connect with my Win98SE VPN
client.
b) I'm no longer able to telnet or ssh to my linux pptpd server as well
?? Has any one else encountered problem 2b ? who could shed some light
as to what went wrong?

Rgds,
Kok-Hong Wong