[pptp-server] Telnet or SSH over Pptp - VPN, Timed Out!!!

Cowles, Steve Steve.Cowles at infohiiway.com
Thu Oct 5 23:18:51 CDT 2000

I wish I had a simple fix for this timeout problem you describe. In fact, I
have had simalar problems. For instance, when I use my laptop and connect
into my Netzero dialup account (not behind a firewall) and then establish my
PPTP tunnel to my Poptop server at home, I do NOT have any timeout problems
whatsoever. I've telnetted in for hours without any problems. But if I use
that same laptop and place it on a LAN behind a another firewall and then
establish a PPTP tunnel (through that firewall) to the same PPTP server, I
have these timeout problems that you describe with telnet. <groan>

> The VPN is great, users can browse our intranet and so
> on, but Telnet rarely lasts longer than 5mins!!!
>
> My last resort is Samba on the VPN in order to house
> the Telnet program to be run remotely and thus avoid
> the all too common Internet Timeout.

Maybe I'm mis-understanding your post, but I don't see how samba will help
you with this. Maybe a VNC, Citrix, terminal server or even an xterm session
acoss the VPN, but not Samba. You would still be loading the telnet program
across the VPN to be run locally on the PPTP client.

Steve Cowles