[pptp-server] OpenBSD PPTP problems solved!

Peter Folk pfolk at uni.uiuc.edu
Sat Oct 7 19:31:45 CDT 2000

The solution to using OpenBSD as a PPTP client is to disable GRE.  I tried
doing it using sysctl but that didn't work for me---I had to recompile the
kernel with it disabled.  Once I did that, everything worked perfectly.

For the record, I had been having the problem of LCP messages timing out;
the reason is that the GRE device was swallowing all the GRE packets sent
from the modem (PPTP in this case is for DSL, with the PPTP between the
gateway machine and the modem).

I hope this helps some people!  I was told this solution by Loic Tortay
on the comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc newsgroup.

Pete