[pptp-server] NIC

Alan Chung alan at silveregg.co.jp
Wed Oct 11 02:17:19 CDT 2000

Thanks for your message.

it sounds like you have a same environment setup like me.  I have my VPN
setup like below,

|(VPN Client R)|-INTERNET-| Linux Firewall |-internal network (internal
machines A,B,C...)

                                                 | PopTop Server |

When I connected from client to pptp server, connection was built (since I
can see a ppp0 connection by ifconfig command on PopTop server).  From
PopTop server, I can see VPN client R's IP and ping it.  But the problem is
I can't ping from client R to any of the internal machine A ,B...even to
PopTop server.   So I have no way to see any internal machine and browse
them after pptp connection is built.  Maybe I need to add route on either
VPN client side but I am not sure how to do that.  Here is my ipchains rules,

$REMOTENET = 0/0
$OUTERIP = IP address of external interface on firewall
$OUTERNET = $OUTERIP/netmask
$OUTERIF = external interface of firewall
$pptp_interip = internal IP address of pptp server

#--------------------------
# port forwarding for 1723
#--------------------------
ipmasqadm portfw -a -P tcp -L $OUTERIP 1723 -R $pptp_interip 1723

#----------------------
# redirect protocol 47
#----------------------
/usr/local/sbin/ipfwd --masq --syslog $pptp_interip 47 &

#-----------------------
# ipchains part for VPN

ipchains -A input -p tcp -s $REMOTENET -d $OUTERNET 1723 -i $OUTERIF -j ACCEPT
ipchains -A input -p 47  -s $REMOTENET -d $OUTERNET        -i $OUTERIF -j
ACCEPT

ipchains -A output -p tcp -s $OUTERNET -d $REMOTENET 1723 -i $OUTERIF -j ACCEPT
ipchains -A output -p 47  -s $OUTERNET -d $REMOTENET        -i $OUTERIF -j
ACCEPT

Do you have any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance.