[pptp-server] samba with network neighborhood

Cowles, Steve Steve.Cowles at infohiiway.com
Thu Oct 12 04:39:19 CDT 2000

Congrats!!

> And I even went to network --> TCP/IP --> WINS setup  and put
> the ip of WINS server on VPN client.  How can I see and
> browse local  machines through neighborhood?

Use "winipcfg" to verify that your PPTP server is sending DNS/WINS addresses
to your client. There should be no need to set WINS address manually. DNS is
a separate issue. Initially (when the TCP/IP stack is brought up on the
client) DNS should be set to ISP's DNS servers. Then when you establish your
PPTP connection, you will see your DNS servers from your local LAN
"appended" to the list of DNS servers (for the TCP/IP stack)

With W98, you will need to insure that the Workgroup setting matches the
workgroup for your local LAN on your PPTP client. i.e. Win98 will register
with WINS server under that domain/workgroup. Also, if your logging into a
MS Domain Controller, you will need to set that up in Network --> Client for
MS Networks.

Steve Cowles