[pptp-server] I'm new to all this..

Frank frankh at mwes.com
Fri Oct 13 11:45:10 CDT 2000

Hi there,

This is my first venture into the world of VPN so please excuse me if I ask
some dumb questions. I am trying to give my remote users a better option
than dialing in on a slow modem and it sounds like VPN may give me a
solution.

I currently have a Linux firewall running a proxy (Squid). I hope to put the
PoPToP server on it but if there is a reason I can't (or shouldn't) please
tell me so I can see about a different machine.

The biggest question I have at this point is can I test this while we are
waiting for our provider to give us a static IP address? Without boring you
with a long story, there are reasons we still are doing dynamic addressing,
but I can get the current address anytime I need it. I'm wondering if there
is any reason I couldn't plug that in to the appropriate places (once I
learn where they are) just to try it.

Also, I assume I would need to make changes to the ipchains rules so if
someone could point me to a FAQ/How-To?

I'm sure once I get everything installed I'll generate some more questions
but these will do for now.

Thanks in advance,
Frank

Frank Holt                                            Phone: (414) 327-0000
Project Engineer                                       Fax: (414) 327-8821
Midwest Engineering Systems, Inc            e-mail: frankh at mwes.com