[pptp-server] Poptop and Windows clients

Philip Van Baren phil at vibrationresearch.com
Tue Oct 17 16:46:58 CDT 2000

Chris,

The options you list are all viable options - you should be able to get it
to work with or without a WINS server.

The hosts and lmhosts files are used just for name resolution.  When you
have these files set up properly, you can access "\\machinename\sharename"
without having to use WINS.  These files do not affect browsing, so browsing
may still fail even if you have hosts and lmhosts properly set up.

To get browsing without WINS, you need a samba server (which maintains
browse lists) running on the same machine as pptpd, and accessible from the
VPN machine.  The VPN machines will then be able to get the browse list off
of that samba server.

To use a WINS server, either on the pptpd machine or on another machine, ALL
machines on your network must be configured to use the same WINS server,
because the WINS server will only know about machines that are using WINS.

Using a WINS server to do the name resolution can significantly slow down
the name resolution, especially when the WINS servers is on the other end of
a slow network connection.  If you don't use a WINS server, and instead put
the names/ip addresses in the hosts/lmhosts files, the name resolution is
done from local files, so the name resolution is much faster.

You can have both WINS and lmhosts, but Windows will always try WINS first,
and if that fails, will look in the lmhosts file, so if you have both you
will still have slow name resolution.  (This is the opposite of the way DNS
works--DNS looks in hosts first, then checks with the DNS server.  Microsoft
always likes to do things different!)  To get faster name resolution you
must remove the WINS server configuration from your VPN client, and only use
hosts and lmhosts files.

Another thing to consider is that typically you have to wait a little while
after connecting the VPN before you can browse the network neighborhood.  If
you wait 30 to 60 seconds before trying to browse the network, then it
should work.  I think this confuses many people because they try to browse
the network immediately after connecting the VPN, and after if fails on the
first try they assume it isn't working.

Here is a Microsoft article about how name resolution works:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q119/4/93.asp

Phil