[pptp-server] Forwarding GRE

Scott M. Stone sstone at foo3.com
Thu Oct 19 18:44:42 CDT 2000

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, Barry Treahy, Jr. wrote:

> One minor problem with that and I'm waiting to hear from what's left of Livingston support;
> the recent upgrades chop the available memory in half and there are all sorts of warnings
> about truncation of configurations and filters, but none of the release notes even discuss
> GRE...  I can't afford an upgrade, loosing filters, only to find out it still may not work.
> The problem is that there are 4 or 5 IRX models, I need to be sure its worth the cost...

you're probably right.  You're much better off replacing the IRX with a
nice router/firewall combination from Cisco, IMHO.  That's what I'm doing
tomorrow, actually, replacing the 6-year-old IRX firewall with a Cisco
2611 router to talk to the T1, and behind that a pair of redundant
hot-failover-enabled Cisco PIX 520 firewall boxes.  Better security, more
features, excellent support.  The PIX also will support both PPTP and
IPSEC out of the box, if you're running the 5.2 version of the PIX
software and you ahve the strong crypto license.