[pptp-server] PoPToP and Firewall config ?

Frank frankh at mwes.com
Thu Oct 26 18:38:19 CDT 2000

Hi,

I've got all the software installed on my firewall (Linux 2.2.10) and I'm
trying to connect from a Win 2000 client. I'm getting a 678 'No answer'
error from Windows. There aren't any messages on the server side, so a
couple of questions...

I get the message:
     MGR: Max connections reached, extra IP addresses ignored
when pptpd is started. Is this part of the trouble? pptpd is running
according to ps.

I've noticed mention of GRE and ports 47 and 1723 in various list traffic
here. I don't have an entry for either in /etc/services. And I don't have
any specific reference to either in my Firewall rules (ipchains). Would
someone please tell me what GRE is and if there is anything that needs to be
done about these ports?

Thanks in advance,
Frank

Frank Holt                                            Phone: (414) 327-0000
Project Engineer                                       Fax: (414) 327-8821
Midwest Engineering Systems, Inc            e-mail: frankh at mwes.com