[pptp-server] Win98 & encryption -- Unsupported protocol error

Phil Van Baren phil at vibrationresearch.com
Sun Oct 29 12:17:58 CST 2000

Matthias,

I think this has the same cause as the compressed data error.  The problem
is that if a packet gets dropped or comes in out-of-order (which causes it
to be dropped in pptpd 1.0.1) the ppp_mppe module loses sync and never
recovers.  The patch described below should fix that problem.  If the
problem is with out-of-order packets, then using pptpd-1.1.2 will also help.

If this does fix your problem, could you send me your log file showing the
error messages so that I can add these symptoms to the FAQ?

Phil

The solution in FAQ for the compressed data error:

7.3.10.	The VPN link works for a while, but then stops working,
	and the /var/log/debug file shows the following:
		pppd[10544]: rcvd [Compressed data] 10 32 ae 68 c0 8e e1 92 ...

	Solution: Patch the /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/ppp_mppe.c file with
	the patch:

	http://www.vibrationresearch.com/pptpd/ppp_mppe_compressed_data_fix.diff

	and then recompile and reinstall the ppp_mppe.o module