[pptp-server] Slightly confused about linux client...

Ron Cresswell ron at mel.compumod.com.au
Tue Oct 31 02:03:19 CST 2000

Hi folks - all of you out there in "happy to help without pointing out
what an idiot I am" land... (actually I'm quite happy to have it pointed
out that I'm being an idiot - it means the answer's easy!)

Hehem.. Well I have a PopTop server running at one site, and I want to
connect to it from another site and establish a VPN between them.

I'm confused about the pptp linux client. There seems to be little
documentation (please point me at the relevant howto/faq if I've missed
it) and I'm not sure if I need it.

ok, 2 sites, want to establish pptp connection between them. Should I
have PopTop running at one site and establish the connection with a
linux pptp client from the other? Or should I have PopTop (ie pptpd)
running at one and connect to it using standard ppp from the other? Or
should I use pptpd installs at both ends and make them talk to each
other? (after all, ppp is supposed to be peer-to-peer isn't it? Doesn't
that mean the connection should be essentially symmetrical?).

Look forward to hearing from you all!

Cheers

Ron

--
Ron Cresswell---CFD&EM Manager---Compumod Pty Ltd
Level 7---271 William St---Melbourne---Australia