[pptp-server] Automatic address translation of GRE

Edward Schernau ed at schernau.com
Fri Sep 22 10:35:31 CDT 2000

Jan Olav Rolfsnes wrote:
> So this works fine as long as we use TCP and UDP packages and the
> firewall knows what port number is. But what happens if we want to route
> GRE packages over the firewall? Its impossible for the fw to route
> correctly. How can we solve this problem? Is this a disadvantage by
> using tunneling protocols like PPTP? Other VPN protocols use UDP as a
> tunneling protocol. Maybe that is smarter to use in this case?

There is a kernel patch for 2.2.15 which applies to 2.2.16 with
no problems, and works perfectly.  However, someone recently
suggested that you use "-p 47" in your ipchains rules, and it works.
Or does this mean you've already patched???
Edward Schernau,		mailto:ed at schernau.com
Network Architect		http://www.schernau.com
RC5-64#: 243249			e-gold acct #:131897