[pptp-server] Performance difference between TCPIP and SMB tr affic

Cowles, Steve Steve at SteveCowles.com
Tue Apr 3 11:11:08 CDT 2001

I agree, there is something else wrong if he is getting a 10x differnece
between FTP and SMB packets. Personally, I have also noticed a differnece in
speed when using FTP verus SMB, but not on the order of 10x. I have never
measured the differnece, but I would say I see a 15-20% decrease when using
SMB.

FWIW: SMB packets are also an encapsulated (netbios) which is then
encapsulated again (and possibly encrypted) into a GRE packet before being
sent across the tunnel. In contrast, FTP uses raw TCP/IP as its transport,
but its packets are still encapsulated/encrpyted into a GRE packet before
being sent across the tunnel.

If I was to guess at where the problem lies, it would be in one of the
following areas:
1) How Netbios is configured on Windows or Samba (like the "socket options"
in smb.conf)
2) The TCP Window size (TCPWIN)
3) The MTU/MRU parameters of the PPTP tunnel.

Without using a packet sniffer its hard to tell, but its possible that the
SMB packets (after being encapsulated twice) are being fragmented at the
PPTP server/router. Thus causing additional overhead because the GRE packets
are now lager than the allowed MRU/MTU (bytes) and have to be broken up into
two packets to be properly transmitted across the tunnel.

That my two bits. If I get some time, I will try to create a packet capture
on the difference between FTP/SMB transfers across a PPTP tunnel. If I
remember right, packets that have been fragmented are flagged as such and
easliy spotted.

Steve Cowles