[pptp-server] Win2k will not make pptp connection outside rou ter Help needed

Cowles, Steve Steve at SteveCowles.com
Thu Apr 5 21:37:57 CDT 2001

I just installed an RT-314 for one of my customers today. Nice little
router/firewall for the price. I also configured this companies NT server
with PPTP and RAS so their road warriors/home office employees could
establish  VPN's into the office LAN. During my validation procedures, I had
concurrent Win98se, Win98me and W2K clients connecting into this NT PPTP
server through the RT314. All OS's worked fine after I found the proper
port/protocol forwarding equivalent commands of the RT-314.

If you haven't done so already, goto netgear's website -> customer support
-> knowledge base and search for "application notes". Then select the
application notes for the RT311/RT314. The PPTP configuration section will
be available. I followed these instructions and had no problems at all. BTW:
I downloaded and installed the latest firmware (3.22) for the RT314 before I
put this unit into production and enabled masqueraded PPTP support.

If you have already followed the above instructions, then maybe your problem
*is* related to the version of pppd and/or the kernel your running.

Steve Cowles