[pptp-server] Win2k - pptp encyption problems -- a solution

Matthew Drobnak mdrobnak at optonline.net
Sat Apr 7 23:40:05 CDT 2001

Upon searching of the archive, I came upon a solution.. however, I will keep
you
in suspense for the moment.  I think the problem is with Win2k SP1 AND / OR
the "High Encryption Pack." I think everyone who applied that is going to
run into
this problem. Therefore, the solution, which also worked for me, is that
the
40 bit MPPE encryption protocol CANNOT be enabled. Once it is either
commented
out, the connection works flawlessly. A problem here, however. I think the
exact
opposite is true for out-of-the-box win2k... if there's no 40bit available,
it will
fail negotiations, and not be able to connect at all..  Anyone care to test
this theory?

For completeness, here's what I'm running:
* kernel 2.4.3
* pppd 2.4.0
* pptp 1.1.2 (to fix the manager exiting after the last connection problem)

my options.pptp file:

lock
mtu 1490
mru 1490
debug
auth
+chap
+chapms
+chapms-v2
ipcp-accept-local
ipcp-accept-remote
lcp-echo-failure 3
lcp-echo-interval 5
deflate 0
#mppe-40
mppe-128
mppe-stateless
ms-dns 172.16.1.1
proxyarp

Hope this helps bring an end to this saga...

-Matthew Drobnak