[pptp-server] Help with no blank smb passwd patches

Jim McCormack jimmc at irobot.com
Tue Apr 10 19:56:53 CDT 2001

Hello All:

I am trying to use smbpasswd for authentication for ppp.  What is unclear
to me is what is the correct patch available to prevent the blank smb
password problem and anyone know why I am having the problem I am.

I tried to follow the threads on the mailing list.  Based on those threads
I have applied a patch(es) from http://www.hattaway.co.nz/patches/

First I applied the ordinary pppsmb.pat and then the blank_passwd_fix2.diff
patch.  The patches applied fine, but I can;t get it to work.

I get the follwing errors.   I think I saw that someone else had this same
problem:

-----------
Apr 10 20:44:09 pptp pppd[2282]: no secret in samba secret
file /etc/samba/smbpasswd
Apr 10 20:44:09 pptp pppd[2282]: The remote system is required to
authenticate itself
Apr 10 20:44:09 pptp pppd[2282]: but I couldn't find any suitable secret
(password) for it to use to do so.
------

I have also extracted the ppp-2.3.11 sources cleanly and applied all of the
following patches.  All of the patches apply with no error:

ppp-2.3.11-openssl-norc4-mppe.patch

ppp_mppe_compressed_data_fix.diff

pppsmbnoblank.patch

strip-MSdomain-patch.diff

I then recompile, make and make install and restart everything.

Once again I still get the error above.

It is interesting to note that I don't have any problem using usernames and
passwords spelled out in chap-secrets instead of smbpasswd.

Finally, thanks to everyone who contributes to this project, be it how-tos,
patches or etc.

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Cheers!

Jim McCormack