[pptp-server] Windows NT 4 and 128 Bit encryption

Gerald Richter richter at ecos.de
Tue Apr 17 12:48:40 CDT 2001

> This is a FAQ from the german magazine c't:
> ( German Version: http://www.heise.de/ct/faq/qna/nt_sp_6.shtml )

Thanks for the translation, but that's also not new for me. That's the exact
setup that I have here:

IE 5.5 with 128 Bit encrytion and Win NT 4 SP 6A with the modified service
pack (as described in the ct faq), so the service pack will install.

But, unfortunately PPTP doesn't use 128 encrytion. 40 Bit works fine, if
don't have the "mppe-40"  option for pppd (only the "mppe-128" and
"mppe-stateless"), the log  says

MPPE 40 bit, stateless transmit compression enabled

and I get a lot of

rcvd [Compressed data] xx xx xx
sent [CCP ResetReq id=0xd]

No trafic goes over the line. As soon as I add the "mppe-40" option
everything works fine. Windows 98 and Win2K works correctly with 128Bit.

More ideas ?

Thanks

Gerald

E-Mail:     richter at ecos.de         Voice:    +49 6133 925131