[pptp-server] PPTP

Charlie Brady charlieb at e-smith.com
Thu Apr 19 05:16:39 CDT 2001

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Karan Ingale wrote:

>  I use a Windows 2000 machine from the internal
> network, to make a VPN session with a server on the
> internet. If I don't apply any rules for ipchains (All
> Accept), I am able to make the connection. But as soon
> as I apply the following rules, I am not able to make
> a VPN connection with the VPN server on the internet.
>
> This is the policy I used to deny all ports
>
>   ipchains --policy input    DENY
>   ipchains --policy output   DENY
>   ipchains --policy forward  DENY
>
> This is the policy for PPTP
>
>   ipchains --append        input \
>            --jump          ACCEPT \
>            --interface     $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE \
>            --source        $EXTERNAL_NETWORK $PPTP \
>            --destination   $LOCALHOST $UNPRIVPORTS \
>            --protocol      tcp
> #           --protocol      tcp  ! -y    #SYN BIT
> Check

You don't mention masquerading, so I assume that you are routing your
internal network to the Internet.

You need to have forwarding rules which allow traffic - your policy is
DENY. You do mention that other protocols are working, which surprises me
a little.

You also need to have rules which allow GRE traffic - protocol 47, IIRC.

  Charlie Brady                         charlieb at e-smith.com
  http://www.e-smith.org (development)  http://www.e-smith.com (corporate)
  Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739
  e-smith, inc. 1500-150 Metcalfe St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1P1 Canada