[pptp-server] stateless encryption

Josh Howlett josh.howlett at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Apr 19 10:25:22 CDT 2001

Hi all,

I have a problem with MPPE 40-bit encryption.  It works for a couple
of minutes, then seizes up.  The client is Windows 2000.  My set-up is
Linux 2.4 with ppp-2.4.0 + all the latest patches from
ftp://ftp.binarix.com/pub/ppp-mppe/

I have:

mppe-40
mppe-stateless

in my ppp options file, but I pppd starts up in none-stateless mode:

pppd 2.4.0 started by root, uid 0
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/1
MSCHAP-v2 peer authentication suceeded for *****
MPPE 40 bit, non-stateless compression enabled
found interface eth0 for proxy arp
local IP address ***********
remote IP address ***********
Protocol-Reject for unsupported protocol 0xa614
.............. etc etc.

I ran "tcpdump -a -i ppp0 -w /tmp/out", and parts of the traffic are
readable.  Could it be that the encryption isn't working somehow?  I
have "require encryption" enabled on the Windows client, and the
Windows machine seems to think that the connection is encrypted...

thanks, josh.

Josh Howlett, Network Supervisor,
Networking and Digital Communications,
Information Services.