[pptp-server] pptp, proxyarp and routing

Kristian Lyngstøl nesquik at lyngstol.kvalito.no
Thu Apr 19 13:24:12 CDT 2001

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 06:38:54PM -0100, Hein-Pieter van Braam wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> could someone please explain to me how I can set up a network with 2 servers:
>
> - a pptp/masq server
> - a samba server
>
> so that clients connected to the internet can access the samba machine? log
> into it with their cute little microsoft network clients etc???
>
> thanx

I belive the simplest sollution would be to make the samba server use
private IP/NAT, and maybe not even connect it to the internet (that is,
not define a default route). Then set up pptpd to either give
out the same type of IP's (NAT/Private ips) or "normal" ips but define
a route to the samba server. (the samba server should then also have
a route to the pptp server.

I would do something like this (ASCII is beautifull):

pptp-client
              \
pptp-client     -(Internet) -[a] pptp-server [b] - [c] samba server
              /
pptp-client

Where
A is a valid IP accesable from internet
B is a local address not accesable from the internet (192.168.0.1,
  10.1.1.1, etc)
C is a local address not accesable from the internet (192.168.0.2,etc)

The samba server wont need any special configuration.

The pptp-server would need to use ip-masquarading for connections
from pptp-client(s) to the internet (If the routs at the pptp-client
is configured so that the default gw is pptp-server (it really
shouldn't be, tho)). It should give pptp-client(s) an ip in the same
range as [B] and [C], if not, the samba server will need to know how
to access that type of ips ('route add -net 194.29.201.0 netmask 255.255.255.192 gw 10.1.1.1' for example)
--
Med vennlig hilsen / Best Regards
 mail:  kristianl at oslo.kvalito.no |    oslo at kvalito.no