[pptp-server] DHCP-like IP address handling

Marcus C. Gottwald gottwald at inf.fu-berlin.de
Fri Apr 20 07:34:59 CDT 2001

Hi!

We are using PPTP to be able to control access to our university
network. Wireless clients first have to establish the PPTP
connection to get an official address and access to the net.

Since notebook users tend to run around they lose the wireless
connection quite frequently. When they return, the DHCP server
will reassign them the same IP address as before, if possible.

However, if the PPTP connection has been lost, re-establishing
it won't help since usually a different IP is assigned.

We do not want to have a fixed address assigned to every user
but prefer a DHCP-like behaviour. Has anyone thought about
implementing this into pptpd?

I agree that it might be nicer to include this feature into
pppd. However, no work seems to be done about that at the
moment, so I thought I'd ask you before doing work someone else
has already done. :-)

Cheers, Marcus

P.S.: I'm not yet subscribed to the list.

--
   Marcus C. Gottwald  ·  http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/~gottwald/kontakt.html