[pptp-server] Fw: Error -- still no Encryption

Joe Petsche jpetsche at eng.utoledo.edu
Wed Aug 8 07:53:34 CDT 2001

Sorry about that HTML formatted message
> Argh these white screen text emails..!!! (white on white)..???

I've removed the second ipaddress from the localip and I get the error:
Aug  6 20:41:40 tpc pppd[1204]: Received bad configure-ack:

> Please get rid of the the second IP in your "localip" and "remoteip"
> configs.. that'll cause problems.

This doesn't bother me anymore.
What bothers me is that I can't re-compile my kernel/ configure my modules
properly to handle the correct ppp_ modules. I have compiled ppp_mppoe.o and
other modules. They reside in /lib/modules/2.4.2/kernel/drivers/net

However I don't think they are being used. My /lib/modules/2.4.2/modules.dep
has some entries that  look like the following:

/lib/modules/2.4.2/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_generic.o:
/lib/modules/2.4.2/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_mppe.o:
/lib/modules/2.4.2/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_generic.o

My guess is that when ppp_mppe.o is refrenced, ppp_generic.o is used. If
this is the case then I don't know what I am doing wrong. I would like it to
use the mppe.o file that I compiled.
I've made sure /etc/modules.conf is correct in aliasing the proper
compression numbers. I get this message in my log files:

Aug  6 20:41:40 tpc insmod: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than
/lib/modules/2.4.2/modules.dep

I am going for data encryption. I can't seem to get it going...

-Joe

> Here are my config files:
> Again, I don't know exactly what the error message mean (see below).
>
> $ cat /etc/ppp/options ---------------->>>>
> name tpc
> lock
> auth
> proxyarp        # For routing to other hosts on internal network
>
> +chap
> +chapms
> +chapms-v2
> #mppe-40