[pptp-server] Connect from behind firewall ?

Bruce S. Garlock bruceg at garlockprinting.com
Wed Aug 8 15:39:26 CDT 2001

gwu at acm.org wrote:

>   I would like to connect from a Windows 2000 client behind a NAT
> firewall to a public Linux PPTP server.  Is this doable without
> reconfiguring the firewall ?  I've followed the setup instructions but
> I am not able to connect.  I always get a '628' error on the Windows
> 2000 client.
>
>   Any help would be appreciated.
>
>   George
>
> --

I think this may have to do with your firewall machine being able to
properly handle pptp requests.  What kind of firewall is it?  Are you
doing NAT behind it?  I have a RH 6.2 firewall (doing NAT), and using
their latest 2.2.19 kernel, which includes the patch for IP VPN masq.
support.  Once I loaded the ip_masq_pptp module, I was able to connect
from a Win95/98 machine behind the firewall to a pptpd server.

Also check the HOWTO for properly enabling the firewall to open up port
1723, and also allow packet 47 traffic.

HTH...

Bruce