[pptp-server] PPTP scalability?

Bjørn Ruberg bjorn at linpro.no
Fri Aug 24 00:36:07 CDT 2001

Mikael Lönnroth <mikael.lonnroth at advancevpn.com> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> I hope you're not wrong, but does anyone know of a way to inform Windows
> clients of the new port?

What was suggested was running a separate daemon on another IP address,
not on another port.

> On Friday 24 August 2001  5:38 am, you wrote:
> > Am I wrong in saying that there is nothing stppoing the chance of running 2
> > copies of pptpd with each listening on a different IP and seperate
> > pptpd.conf's?
> >
> > should work write? you'll then only reach the next limit which is it pty's
> > at 256 or something.....

I can confirm that running two and more pptpd's on different IP addresses
with separate pptpd.conf files does indeed work.

Last time I did this, I used this solution to allow for different
degrees of encryption according to the IP address that was contacted -
thereby allowing Windows clients that would not encrypt properly to
access resources in the network.

--
Bjørn Ruberg, Linpro AS
bjorn at linpro.no

The more you scream, the less you hear. (Fish)