[pptp-server] MPPE compression

George Vieira GeorgeV at citadelcomputer.com.au
Tue Aug 28 17:45:40 CDT 2001

Hi all,

Sorry if I'm not reading my mail carefully but on the discussion of MPPE and
compression, my Syslog Monitor software under Windows has just shown up a
message from PPP which I never noticed before and SM tells me it's "unknown
syslog" so that tells me it's a first time it's gotten this too.

It's the message:

MPPE 128 bit, stateless receive compression enabled

I (nor my software) have never noticed this message before, does this mean
compression with encryption is now on?

Funny enough, my MPPE dying problems are now over.. the !DAMN! CPU fan had
disconnected and the CPU kept over heating which weirdly stopped the MPPE
and eventually killing the CPU (Lucky it's a little Pent 233 CPU and
cheap)....

Now my MPPE problems are over.. funny how hardware faults trigger weird
problems in software...?????

thanks,
George Vieira
Network Engineer