[pptp-server] Poptop and Linux Kernel 2.4.9

Martin Feeney martin at tuatha.org
Wed Aug 29 11:53:32 CDT 2001

I'm at my wits' end here.  Anyone got kernel 2.4 and poptop working?

I'm using pppd 2.4.1 with strip-ms-domain and mppe patches (both applied
cleanly) and kernel 2.4.9 with mppe patch (applied cleanly).

If I connect with the linux pptp client (1.03) (doesn't matter what
version of kernel I use), I get the logs in the attached file.

Now the weird thing, If I try to connect with a windows client it works.

I'm using poptop 1.0.0-4 (debian package). I could upgrade to a later
version, but it would mean maintaining custom versions on multiple
machines which I'd rather not do unless someone can tell me for sure that
1.0.1 or 1.1.2 works with kernel 2.4.9.

OK, tested with 1.0.1 and 1.1.2 - both have the same problem. Also went
back to ppp-2.4.0 just in case - no help whatsoever.

I'm thinking of moving to ipsec for linux <-> linux tunnels anyway, but
I'd be happy to hear if anyone has gotten poptop+kernel 2.4.9 to work
while connecting from a linux pptp client.

To summarise (no other changes were made except the kernel version):

                   Server (poptop)
Client       | linux-2.2 | linux-2.4.9
linux-2.2.19 |   works   |   FAILS(1)
linux-2.4.6  |   works   |   FAILS(1)
linux-2.4.9  |   works   |   FAILS(2)
win2k        |   works   |    works

(1) server gets Modem hangup, client doesn't - it retries until it fails.
(2) both server and client get Modem hangup.  Client gets SIGHUP.

Not sure whether to blame ppp, pptp-client or poptop as there are
conflicting symptoms.

Anyone have any pointers as to what may be going on?