[pptp-server] Verification of PPTP Tunnel

P39036 P39036 at exchange.sihe.ac.uk
Thu Aug 30 05:05:16 CDT 2001

Sorry, George, I should have been more specific. The setup is very simple.

The PPTP client (Win98SE) has IP address 192.168.11.2. The Linux PPTP Server
has IP address 193.62.x.x, and is also the web server. So, we just have two
machines in total here, not an extended LAN (this is just a demo for my MSc
project).

The tunnel authenticates and runs fine (problems with MPPE, but that's
another story). It still works when I deny all traffic at the Cisco
interface except GRE (47) and PPTP (1723). The problem is that the client
(192.168.11.2) can't browse to the web server (193.62.x.x) unless I also
permit HTTP (80) at the Cisco interface. Doesn't this mean that the client
is for some reason ignoring the tunnel to the server ? I just can't work it
out.

Regards, Ken John
BSc PGDip CCNA