[pptp-server] Viewing SAMBA share via PPTP

Cowles, Steve Steve at SteveCowles.com
Thu Aug 30 13:15:52 CDT 2001

By default, MS networking issues broadcast packets to build the master
browser list for network neighborhood. In addition, these broadcast packets
are used to determine (elect) "who" is the local master browser (lmb) and/or
the domain master browser (dmb) for your LAN. When you establish a PPTP
connection, these broadcast packets are NOT sent across the tunnel because
your PPTP server is acting as a router. So by default, you cannot browse
from the remote pptp client unless you either:

Preferred, by the book...

1) Enable a WINS server on your LAN. (Samba can perform this function)
2) Add "ms-wins xx.xx.xx.xx" to your option.ppp0 file
3) Make sure the remote PPTP client's workgroup registration matches the
workgroup registration of your LAN. In your case... IDS
4) Make sure the remote PPTP clients WINS server address is being set after
you establish the tunnel. (check it with winipcfg or ipconfig /all) It
should show the WINS servers IP address along with the PPTP clients netbios
node type being set to "hybrid" instead of broadcast. i.e. You want the pptp
client to query the WINS server for netbios resolution, not broadcast for
it.
5) If you have other client workstations/servers on your LAN, they must also
be configured to register with WINS server.
6) If Samba is being used as a WINS server, it needs to be configured to win
the master browser election along with being configured to answer requests
from device PPP0. i.e. read up on the following smb.conf parameters...
interfaces, domain master, preferred master, os level, remote browse sync,
bind interfaces only

or...

The administration nightmare method (easy)...

1) Edit your PPTP clients "lmhosts" file and add the appropriate entries to
correspond to your LAN. The lmhosts.sam file has some decent examples to get
you started.

If your interested in understanding "why" you need WINS (or even the
lmhosts) to browse across remote networks, further reading should include
some of the following MS articles:

WINS servers, WINS clients and WINS proxies
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/advanced/help/default.asp?url=/WINDO
WS2000/en/advanced/help/sag_WINS_und_Servers.htm

Windows Internet Naming Service (WINS): Architecture and Capacity Planning
(read all chapters)
http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/techresources/commnet/WINS/WINSwp98/WINS01
-12.asp

Using WINS for netbios name resolution.