[pptp-server] a Cosmetic problem

Cowles, Steve Steve at SteveCowles.com
Wed Dec 5 10:17:54 CST 2001

This is not a problem with PPTP, but more with your PPTP clients OS resolver
libs and how it configures its nameserver search order when the tunnel is
brought up.

On my Win98 laptop, I have noticed that once I establish a PPTP tunnel and
then issue a winipcfg, I see that my internal DNS server (the one listed
with ms-dns) is added to the list of name servers. The odd part is that
winipcfg shows my ISP's DNS servers *first* and then my internal DNS server.
Magically though, Win98's resolver libs seem to query  my internal DNS
server first because when I ping www.mydomain.com, the internal IP address
is returned, not the external IP address.
This holds true for WEB access to my intranet servers.

Because I also run a WINS server, I have not had any problems with MS
Networking related access. Once my laptop finally authenticates against the
PDC and the browser list is updated to the PPTP client (usually takes about
1-2 minutes after I bring up the PPTP tunnel), Outlook properly connects to
my Exchange server without prompting me to first login.

> Or, can I add a seach domain (search amherst.com) field to the options
> field to force a local reverse lookup?

I always set the domain search order to include mydomain.com on the PPTP
clients. Don't really know if this really helps, I just don't like to type
the FQDN.

> My interpretation is that Windows (98 for this example) queries for
> intranet.amherst.com on the real world DNS server.... then times out.
> If I specify the VPN IP, then it works fine.

I have seen this behavior before. Seems like the Windows resolver libs are
doing a round-robin between all the name servers. i.e. ping www.mydomain.com
The first ping will return the internal address, then the next ping will
return the external address. Very irritating!!!

> Joe, why would adding an extra forward slash to the end of a URL make
> the web browser access the page correctly.  I didn't think that the
> extra slash at the end had any significance... please elaborate.

I have never had to add a trailing slash to any URL's. If I (or any of my
customers using PPTP) had to add a trailing slash, they would probably fire
me for not adhering to the KISS methodology when deploying PPTP
functionality. i.e. Keep It Simple Stupid! There is something else wrong if
your having to add a trailing slash to any URL.

Steve Cowles