[pptp-server] Attempts to get PPTPD and PPP working with CHAP

Jeremy Higgs jhiggs at iprsystems.com
Sun Dec 9 15:31:47 CST 2001

Hi!

I'm trying to get PPTPD (PoPToP) working with another linux machine,
which has the pptp-client installed on it. I have had a look at some
HOWTOs/Guides that are linked from the PoPToP site, but it doesn't seem to
be working...

I get this:

root at piglet:~# pptp cata.mine.nu
/usr/sbin/pppd: The remote system is required to authenticate itself
/usr/sbin/pppd: but I couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to
use to do so.
/usr/sbin/pppd: (None of the available passwords would let it use an IP
address.)

And this on the 'server' machine:

No free connection slots or IPs available - no more clients can connect!
Dec  9 21:54:54 bluey pptpd[15948]: MGR: No free connection slots or IPs -
no more clients can connect!
Dec  9 21:54:54 bluey pptpd[15957]: CTRL: Client 144.132.140.185 control
connection started
/usr/sbin/pppd: In file /etc/ppp/pptpd-options: unrecognized option
'mppe-40'
Dec  9 21:54:55 bluey pptpd[15957]: CTRL: Starting call (launching pppd,
opening GRE)
Dec  9 21:54:55 bluey pppd[15958]: In file /etc/ppp/pptpd-options:
unrecognized option 'mppe-40'
Dec  9 21:54:55 bluey pptpd[15957]: GRE: read(fd=5,buffer=10014e54,len=8196)
from PTY failed: status = -1 error = Input/output error
Dec  9 21:54:55 bluey pptpd[15957]: CTRL: PTY read or GRE write failed
(pty,gre)=(5,6)
Dec  9 21:54:55 bluey pptpd[15957]: CTRL: Client 144.132.140.185 control
connection finished
Dec  9 21:54:55 bluey pptpd[15957]: CTRL: Couldn't write packet to client.

----

This is the /etc/ppp/pptd-options file on the 'server' machine, bluey:

bluey:/etc/ppp# less pptpd-options
## SAMPLE ONLY
## CHANGE TO SUIT YOUR SYSTEM

## turn pppd syslog debugging on
#debug

## change 'servername' to whatever you specify as your server name in
chap-secre
ts
name bluey
## change the domainname to your local domain
domain mydomain.net

## these are reasonable defaults for WinXXXX clients
## for the security related settings
auth
require-chap
#require-chapms
#require-chapms-v2
+chap
#+chapms
#+chapms-v2
mppe-40
mppe-128
mppe-stateless
require-mppe
require-mppe-stateless

## Fill in your addresses
#ms-dns 10.0.0.1
#ms-wins 10.0.0.1

## Fill in your netmask
netmask 255.255.255.240

## some defaults
nodefaultroute
proxyarp
Lock

---

I have edited the /etc/ppp/options file on the client machine, piglet, just
in these two areas:

# Append the domain name <d> to the local host name for authentication
# purposes.  For example, if gethostname() returns the name porsche,
# but the fully qualified domain name is porsche.Quotron.COM, you would
# use the domain option to set the domain name to Quotron.COM.
#domain <d>
domain shacknet.nu

# Set the name of the local system for authentication purposes to <n>.
# This is a privileged option. With this option, pppd will use lines in the
# secrets files which have <n> as the second field when looking for a
# secret to use in authenticating the peer. In addition, unless overridden
# with the user option, <n> will be used as the name to send to the peer
# when authenticating the local system to the peer. (Note that pppd does
# not append the domain name to <n>.)
#name <n>
name piglet

---

This is the chap-secrets file on the client machine, piglet (passwords
blanked out...)(I also based this on the example in the PPP HOWTO... Is this
correct?):

root at piglet:/etc/ppp# less chap-secrets
# Secrets for authentication using CHAP
# client        server  secret                  IP addresses
bluey           piglet  "*********"             *
piglet          bluey   "********"              *

And the chap-secrets for the 'server', bluey:

bluey:/etc/ppp# less chap-secrets
# Secrets for authentication using CHAP
# client        server  secret                  IP addresses
piglet          bluey   "*********"             *
bluey           piglet  "********"              *

On the /etc/pptpd.conf file on bluey, I've also got this:

option /etc/ppp/pptpd-options

---

I can post more info, if needed... But would anyone be able to help me? I've
had a look at a number of sites, but I can't seem to solve it...

Thanks a lot!