[pptp-server] Patch to prevent domain names in authentication?!?

Torge Szczepanek pptp at szczepanek.de
Mon Dec 10 17:36:29 CST 2001

Hi!

I am currently using pptpd for authentication of users in our student hostel
network.

Very often some of our users are complaining about the windows DUN error
691. When I am looking in the logfiles I find that their windows machines
are sending WORKGROUP\\accountname as there user-id. The people tell they
changed nothing. After deleting the VPN-connection and recreating it,
everything just works fine again and the MS VPN client is sending the
correct username. I think this is some problem of the microsoft client.

Is there a patch to pptpd or pppd to just throw away everything before the
accountname including the \\ characters? Is this possible with encrypted
passwords?!?

Torge Szczepanek