[pptp-server] problems with win2k client

alan premselaar alien at 12inch.com
Tue Dec 11 20:15:33 CST 2001

I'm running a redhat linux 6.2 installation with the 2.2.19 kernel
(downloaded and compiled from source)
i've installed pptpd-1.1.2 and pppd 2.3.11 (with the mppe and ms-chapv2
patches)

i've got 3 ethernet cards installed in the machine, 1 setup on the DMZ, 1
on the local internal network (192.168.0.x), and 1 configured as a
completely different (192.168.254.x) network for testing purposes.

I've setup a PC running win2k pro on the 192.168.254.x network as a test
connection machine.

i have a couple of seperate problems, i think.

Firstly, In all the documentation i've read, and the mail on this list,
people keep making reference to setting "localip <ip>" and "remoteip <ip>"
in the options.pptp file (or /etc/ppp/options file) ... whenever I do that,
PPP barfs saying that it's an invalid option.  i'm a little confused by
that, but it's not my main problem.

the main problem i'm having is this:

I can connect via the test vpn from my win2k client.  I can connect to my
exchange server no problem.  when I open the network neighborhood (or
whatever it's called in w2k) i can see my domain(s) and all the computers
in the domain show up when i double-click the domain name... (so far so
good) ... however, when i double-click any of the computers I can't connect.

for the purpose of the testing, i have my password in the chap-secrets file
set identically to my domain-login password, and my username set
identically to my domain-username.  also, for the time being, I have my
firewall disabled on this machine (i can worry about firewalling once I've
gotten the configuration working)

this seems to be the case regardless of whether or not I've got samba
running on the linux machine.  (I've tried both ways)

also note that I have added the following rules in my ipchains:

ipchains -I forward 1 -s 192.168.0.0/24 -d 192.168.0.0/24 -j ACCEPT
ipchains -I forward 2 -s 192.168.0.0/24 -j MASQ

*EVERYTHING* (as far as i can tell) aside from the network browsing is
working properly thru the vpn.

any advice, assistance, ritual dance recommendation, etc. are greatly
appreciated.

thanks in advance

alan premselaar
----
  there's nothing like the undying sense of reliability provided by modern
technology.
----
alan premselaar
alien at 12inch.com