[pptp-server] Multi VPN

Steve Jorgensen jorgens at coho.net
Thu Dec 13 16:17:18 CST 2001

[ sorry - I forgot to change the recipient on the try of this reply ]

I do that too, but it took me weeks to debug WINS, etc.  In retrospect, it
might have been less hassle to have each machine make its own connection,
then it maps into the remote subnet, and uses SMB like everyone else.  I
never would have had to learn what a WINS server was, much less that you
should never install it on your RRAS machine unless you are a hard core
masochist.

I guess that's a possible reason - that, and there are fewer machines on
the remote LAN that could be used as bridges to hack the host LAN.

On the other side of the coin, Windows 9x and Me suffer from memory
fragmentation issues that can require rebooting in order to make PPP or
PPTP work again.  That's not an issue when you use a router to handle the
PPTP link.  I've often thought it might be interesting to have a server
that accepts PPPoE connections from inside the LAN and connects them to the
PPTP connection to the other LAN.  The PPTP connection would be up whenever
one or more PPPoE connections was up and go down when the PPPoE count
reaches zero, and only PPPoE links would get routed.  One neat thing about
this scenario is that the host could assign you a subnet, and you can use
it successfully without renumbering your LAN IP addresses.