[pptp-server] WAN->WAN question

George Vieira GeorgeV at citadelcomputer.com.au
Thu Dec 20 15:29:20 CST 2001

OK first things first.

Why run a VPN when the offices are dialling directly into the Corporate
office?
Seeing all the machines on all networks will be difficult because network
broadcasts don't route so they won't go over the dial up link..

There are a number of ways to try this (and I mean try):

1) Setup a WINS server on the dial up server machine
2) each dialin machine is linux and sets the "remote announce =
dialupserverip" in samba (smb.conf)
3) each dialin machine sets the "wins server = dialupserverip" in samba
(smb.conf)
4) each site should use a different workgroup name "Sydney, Melbourne,
Perth, etc"...

Now the problem I can see with this one is that each linux dialup client
should have samba installed and act as a master browser to collect all
workstation broadcasts. They will remotely send this info to the WINS server
too but the server (I don't think) will not send that data to the other
servers and this is the problem I'm seeing. Unless it's samba and possibly
set to remote announce to each sites dialup machine...?????

THOUGH, if ALL of the workstations use the corporate server as a WINS server
in their TCP/IP setup then they can map to the other sits as the WINS server
should resolve all their IPs on the other subnets...

But network neighbourhood will probably only show the local workgroup..
Bummer!!

Others on this list could possibly make a better setup..

thanks,
George Vieira
Systems Manager
Citadel Computer Systems P/L