[pptp-server] PPTP with NAT

Cowles, Steve Steve at SteveCowles.com
Fri Dec 28 11:19:41 CST 2001

PPTP
> into a Linux (samba) PoPToP server that is behind a router doing NAT.  I
can
> connect just fine and I get assigned an address for the private LAN.  My
> problem is that I can't see the server.  Oh ya my Linux (samba) is running
as
> a NT PDC and is working fine on the LAN.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Here is my OPTIONS :
>
> debug
> name (is this a FQDN or browse master name or a workgroup name)

FWIW: PPTP is a transport protocol. It has nothing to do with Microsoft
NetBios, Browsing, Workgroup/Domain names, etc... Use the FQDN.

> auth
> require-chap
> proxyarp
> ms-wins 10.0.0.2
> netmask 255.255.255.0 (winipcfg reports the mask as 255.0.0.0?)

The netmask statement above is useless when using a Windows based PPTP
client. Your PPTP client is going to assign the class a based netmask as you
have shown above. This has been a source of irritation for me too.

> Here is my PPTPD.conf:
>
> debug
> speed 115200
> option /etc/ppp/options
> localip  10.0.0.200-250
> remoteip 10.0.0.200-250

Uh!!! Why are you assigning the same IP's to both the remoteip and localip.
That will never work. Try the following:

localip  10.0.0.200
remoteip 10.0.0.201-250