[pptp-server] Linux VPN client

Marc Charbonneau marc.charbonneau at prepar.com
Thu Feb 1 15:24:01 CST 2001

I really need some help here...

I'm trying to connect a Linux box to my PoPToP-Linux server.

Description :

VPN server: - Red-Hat 6.2 with PoPToP 1.0.0. No encryption, nothing...
                    - 2 NIC, one on LAN, other for ADSL internet access

    works fine. Clients connect without problem and use it to access our
AS/400 server.
N.B.: All clients are Windoze98

Now, I have one client that wants to use a Linux box to do the same thing. I
downloaded the Linux client v.1.0.2 and followed the tiny instructions that
came with it.
I'm using a Linux box here to make some tests. I connect it to the net with
a dial-up account. I tried accessing my PPTP server with it but every time I
try, it just bomb with 3 messages. Here they are :
>warn [open_unixsock:pptp_callmgr.c:308]: Call manager for "PPTP server's
IP" is already running.
>fatal [callmgr_main:pptp_callmgr.c:124]: Could not open unix socket for
"PPTP server's IP"
>fatal [launch_callmgr:pptp.c:213]: Call manager exited with error 256

my chap-secret file
# Secrets for authentication using CHAP
# client server secret   IP addresses
marc squirmy XXXX

I have pppd version 2.3.11

Can somebody help me as I'm going nuts with that. And the last thing I want
to do is tell the client that he can't use Linux to do something that a
Micros~1 OS can !!!