[pptp-server] Ignored a SET LINK INFO

David Luyer david_luyer at pacific.net.au
Wed Feb 14 07:18:41 CST 2001

> Hi
>
> What dose the following message means, in pptp log file
>
> "Ignored a SET LINK INFO packet with real ACCMs"

It means that you have a client using WIN2K :-)

Or, to be more precise, it means that the PPTP server ignored a packet of type
"SET LINK INFO" with real ACCM values.  ACCMs are used to specify character
mappings due to unusable characters over links.  Which is all relatively
unlikely given that the GRE is travelling over an IP link, perhaps you could
use it to make all +'s be escaped and prevent + + + A T H 0 disconnects...
but it's not implemented in the current pptpd.  While you might think that
it's a complete waste given that the pppd underneath has its own ACCMs, well,
you might be right actually :-)  It's just like the flow control which isn't
implemented in pptpd since it's a fundamentally flawed algorithm and all the
protocols inside the pptpd tunnel will have flow control algorithms of their
own anyway.

Read rfc2637 and look for some of the obvious errors people on this list
e-mailed the authors about, such as section 3.1.2 which suggests in its
ascii art diagram that a start ctl connection request should be used to
stop a control connection (oops)... the authors of the draft ignored all
input and went forward to produce an RFC which matched neither sanity nor
existing implementations.

David.
--
David Luyer                                        Phone:   +61 3 9674 7525
Senior Network Engineer        P A C I F I C       Fax:     +61 3 9699 8693