[pptp-server] Now I'm Really confused!

jdonahue at agiletech.com jdonahue at agiletech.com
Thu Feb 15 14:03:21 CST 2001

Actually I got it working (figured out the workgroup thing) but I didn't
know there was a patch to get rid of that...THANK YOU EVERYBODY...I have
encryption now!!! The next test is, can I do it again? :)

Again, thank you everyone who helped....

                    Giulio Orsero
                    <giulioo at pobox.com>              To:     pptp-server at lists.schulte.org
                    Sent by:                         cc:
                    pptp-server-admin at lists.s        Subject:     Re: [pptp-server] Now I'm Really confused!
                    chulte.org

                    02/15/01 02:06 PM

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 13:48:25 -0500, you wrote:

Please don't post html.

>Feb 15 12:40:19 SSTVPN1 pppd[892]: No CHAP secret found for authenticating
sstcorp1\\donahuej
>Feb 15 12:40:19 SSTVPN1 pppd[892]: MSCHAP-v2 peer authentication failed
for remote host sstcorp1\\donahuej
>Feb 15 12:40:19 SSTVPN1 pppd[892]: Connection terminated.
>Feb 15 12:40:19 SSTVPN1 pppd[892]: Exit.
>Feb 15 12:40:19 SSTVPN1 pptpd[891]: GRE:
read(fd=5,buffer=804d8c0,len=8196) from PTY failed: status = -1 error =
Input/output error
>Feb 15 12:40:19 SSTVPN1 pptpd[891]: CTRL: PTY read or GRE write failed
(pty,gre)=(5,6)
>Feb 15 12:40:19 SSTVPN1 pptpd[891]: CTRL: Client 192.168.1.35 control
connection finished
>my chap-secrets looks like this:
># Secrets for authentication using CHAP
># client        server  secret                  IP addresses
>testuser        *       testing                 *
>and i used testuser/testing as my username/password on a win98 MS VPN
connection....I'm almost there what am I missing???

Either you used donahuej as the username or the log you show is not
related to yout login (but to someone else).

However, note that unless you use the following patch
http://themm.net/strip-MSdomain-patch.diff
you need to use
\\YOUR_WORKGROUP\your_username  * password
in chap-secrets (you have to match what you see in the log)

giulioo at pobox.com
pptp-server maillist  -  pptp-server at lists.schulte.org