[pptp-server] Fixed IPs using PoPToP

Giulio Orsero giulioo at pobox.com
Mon Feb 19 14:31:11 CST 2001

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 09:45:00 +0100, you wrote:

>4.2 How can I assign IP addresses based on user names?
>	Configure PoPToP with the command:
>		./configure --with-pppd-ip-alloc
>
>	Then build and install PoPToP as usual.  List the IP addresses as
>	the last parameter on each chap-secrets line.  For example:
>
>		tom	*	toms-pw		192.168.1.40
>		dick	*	dicks-pw	192.168.1.41
>		harry	*	harrys-pw	192.168.1.42

Will the above assign tom 192.168.1.40, or just allow tom to use
192.168.1.40?

I made a quick test, and I had to specify the ip in the dial-up
networking properties, because pppd would not assign me the ip
associated to my login automatically.
pppd docs seem to suggest that field is for the ip the user is "allowed"
to use; is there some pptpd magic that should "assign" the ip?

giulioo at pobox.com